- Preheat over to 240°C and place a piece of baking paper on a large sheet pan.
- Wash the potatoes and, with a lid on top to conserve energy and hasten the process, bring to the boil in a large pot of water over a high heat on the stove.
- Turn down to a low heat and simmer for approximately 15 minutes, uncovered. They must be tender.
- Drain the potatoes and tumble into the prepared sheet pan, quite literally ‘smashing’ them down with the bottom of the saucepan. Larger potatoes will need to be halved before this process.
- Drizzle the potatoes with the olive oil and add the desired amount of salt and pepper. Place in the preheated oven for around 25 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
- Once ready, scatter the potatoes on a serving plate and spoon red pesto over the top.
- Finish with chopped fresh basil and a handful of pine nuts for that little something extra. Reward your patience and, forks at the ready, enjoy!
NB: Leftover potatoes can keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days; leftover pesto for up to one week. Remember though to reheat the potatoes in the oven at 190°C for these subsequent nibblings.